As the eight bloodlines of the Nyridiae have all ceased due to Reckoning, the Cynthae have since become the most powerful extant Hycathae. The Nyridiae could only pass their powers to their first-born daughters, while the remaining daughters would become the less powerful Cynthae. The same would apply to the daughters of the Cynthae, with those not inheriting their mothers’ full powers forming the weakest tier of Hycathae known, the Baethlae.
While Cyntha magic is more powerful than that of the Baethlae, these abilities take many years of practice to harness their full potential. There can therefore be a great variation among Cynthae; some may have dedicated their lives to harnessing their magic, others may have yet to learn how to use it.
See also: Hycathic Powers
Like all tiers of Hycathae, Cynthae have honed their power from an ancient knowledge of the natural world and its molecular composition. These abilities may include telekinesis, pyrokinesis, shapeshifting, and healing. While Nyridiae could apply these powers well beyond their reach, the Cynthae and Baethlae are limited to using their magic through touch.
The powers of all Hycathae are drained by using their magic. While the Nyridiae’s power can last the longest, Cynthae may utilise their powers for longer than Baethlae, before also needing to restore their energy. In rare instances, Baethlae may master their abilities and surpass untrained or immature Cynthae. However, there remain abilities that Cynthae inherit, such as passing emotional impulses or thermographic vision, that Baethlae may never access.
- Agatha (1029 – 1072), great grandmother to Empress Matilda (Maud)
- Margaret (1045 – 1093), grandmother to Empress Matilda (Maud)
- Edith, Matilda of Scotland (1080 – 1118), mother to Empress Matilda (Maud)
- Empress Matilda “Maud” Beauclerc (1102 – 1167), Queen of England
- Roosmarijn Doolaard (1112 – 1185), 1st Duchess of Chiltern
- Aurélie Paquet (1123 – 1211), 1st Duchess of Hastings
- Gabriella Fitzwalter (1100 – 1198), 1st Duchess of Nottingham
- Mary-Anne Fitzwalter (1350 – 1412), 9th Duchess of Nottingham and 1st Queen of East Mercia
- Empress Matilda V (1323 – 1378), last Empress of England
- Ingeborg Blomgren (1850 – 1895), the eldest of the sisters, reckoned into the Blue Phoenix Stone
- Iris Cavendish (1977 – ), Head of the Hycathic Salvation Program
- Alana Dale (2005 – ), outlaw and sister to the rebel leader Will Scarlett